Friday, October 1, 2010

Bringing Families Together - One Trashy TV Show at a Time

There's nothing like a trashy reality TV show to bring families together.


My best friend and I have been addicted to "The Bachelor" for several years now. I think I've watched it a few more seasons than she has. (Side note: I am none too pleased with the upcoming season's bachelor pick of Brad Womack. He had his shot as America's Bachelor several years ago, and he didn't pick anyone! While I admire him for not going through with someone that he felt wasn't right, why would they pick him AGAIN? If it didn't work for him once, who's to say it will work for him the second go 'round? Anyway ... ). She and I decided during the last season of "The Bachelorette" (the alternate show that casts a girl picking between 25 young men) that we would try to get together and watch it. Then my mom found out about it and wanted to get in on it.



My mom and I had watched the last season of "The Bachelorette" while I was living at home before the wedding, and she really liked it. So we decided we were going to do our weekly viewings at my parents' house. And lo and behold, my dad got hooked, too! (Of course, I'm sure it helped that Ali, this past season's bachelorette, was absolutely stunning!)


So there we are, our happy little family gathered in Blue Heaven (my old bedroom transformed into a media room/Dad's office/Duke basketball shrine) watching 25 ridiculous and ridiculously handsome men vie for the affection of America's sweetheart. Of course, the final pick was hard, and we were all torn between Roberto and Chris.


Then came the previews for "Bachelor Pad."





The idea behind the new show is that 20ish jaded men and women from the past seasons of "The Bachelor" and "The Bachelorette" will live in the mansion and compete for $250,000 while battling enemies, "frenemies," romances and "power couples." It looked trashy from the get go. But I couldn't NOT watch it. Maybe that makes me lame (no, that definitely makes me lame), but I've watched all of these people on their seasons of the show, and I really want to see it! My dad declared he wouldn't watch it, and Nicole and I kind of just sat there grinning. We all agreed it looked trashy, though.


So the next day, Nicole asks, "Are you going to watch 'Bachelor Pad'?" I said, "Of course." She said, "I kind of want to, too!"


Mom asked me the same question several days later, to which I said the same thing. She said, "I'm kind of curious about it, but it just looks like junk."


The show happend to fall during the time when Nicole was in Thailand for six months helping her brother and sister-in-law as they were having their third child. So I watched the show and kept them on my TiVo, with plans to watch it again when Nicole came home.


We planned our "Bachelor Pad" marathon, and Mom caved and wanted to join us! She said she really just wants to spend the time with us, though. ;)


So there ya go - I know it's way too much to have written about that franchise, but I'm just really excited for our girls' night! Those shows are so much more fun to watch with other people so you can gossip about the cast. "Oh my gosh - did you see how she just threw herself at him?" "She feels giddy around him. I definitely think she's going to pick him!" "Please don't let Kasey sing again!" "For the love of all that his holy, could she please just STOP TALKING!?"


Ah, you gotta love trashy reality TV.


(Except for "Jersey Shore." I'll never stoop that low.)

3 comments:

  1. ...FYI...I was in Thailand for 6 WEEKS...not 6 months.... ;o) Just thought I'd clarify! LOVE YOU!!! See you tonight! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really am only interested in the company. I could care less about the show. Just have to put that in writing! I'll probably fall asleep before midnight! Love you, Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many of us want to unwind with our family, but do not want it to be like the casual ones. Parents would love that their children will have learnings while having fun at the same time. Values are one of the intangible things that parents would want their children to have as they grow. MBC is one of the best christian retreat centers in nebraska that will make a perfect destination for your family.

    Why is it so? Visit us now and see for yourself how we keep bonds strong and why happy campers would love to go back to us again and again.

    ReplyDelete