Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The Reader should wear more clothes


I just went to the theater and saw "The Reader." It stars Kate Winslett as Hanna Schmitz and Ralph Fiennes as Michael Berg. Although, I'm fairly certain you see more screen time of young Michael Berg (played by David Kross) trotting around Hanna's house naked than you do of Ralph Fiennes.

If you have yet to see the movie and eventually want to see it, then there might be some spoilers below — just a warning! :)

I'm not a fan of nudity in movies, but some movies don't bother me quite as much with a tad bit of it in there.

This film, however, seemed to use about a third to a half of it's time as "nakee time." I'm sorry, but I do not want to see Winslett's chest 4,890,365 times; nor do I want to see Kross' naked form from the front. Ew. I realize that the two of them were having an affair and he read to her while they were lying in bed. But it doesn't mean they needed to have that much nakedness in there. There are ways to shoot films where you know they're naked, but you just don't show it.

I'm not trying to be a prude, I'm just saying it's unnecessary. Take, for example, "Forgetting Sarah Marshall." I went to go see this movie with Casey, and she and I both agreed we likely would have enjoyed the movie much more if the nudity and sex scenes hadn't been so graphic. It's just not needed.

Aside from the g
raphic parts of this movie, I suppose it was OK. It's one of those come-full-circle-spanning-characters'-lifetimes type of movie. It was sad, though, and we all know that I'm not a huge fan of the movies with sad endings. It's not to say I can't appreciate them, because I do. It wasn't an awful movie, though, and I don't regret going to see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment