Tuesday, August 18, 2009

"I wish I could have known you better."

Along with "I love you," these were the last words that David's grandfather said to me.

Me too, Pops. Me too. I wish I could have known you better, too.



From the first time I met you, you made me feel completely at ease and like a member of the family. You told me your stories from the war days. With such pride and a heart full of love, you told me so many stories about David and the times he spent with you growing up.

In the short time I knew you, I grew to love you like a grandfather. I saw in the first moments I spent with you how much you loved your family, especially your wife.

I'm glad your passing was peaceful today, but you are already missed. I know how much David loves you, and that makes it hurt even more. I'm so sad that you won't be there to see us married in October. I know how much you wanted to do everything you could to be there celebrating with us on that day. And on that day, you will be in our hearts. We are honored that you wanted David to wear your ring. Every time we look at it, we will remember you and how much you meant to everyone you knew.

I love you. I miss you. And I wish I could have known you better.

No comments:

Post a Comment